Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The simplicity of this cake gives it a delicious touch.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons melted butter (1/4 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- demerara sugar or sanding sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350F and butter a 9" seasoned cast iron skillet, or similarly sized cake pan.
- In a bowl, mix the lemon zest and sugar with your fingers, distributing well. Mix the eggs in one at a time, preferably with a whisk, until well blended. Add salt and the extracts and the flour, and switch to a rubber spatula or spoon to mix. Fold in the melted butter.
- Scrape the batter into your skillet, smooth and sprinkle with the almonds, then some of the demarara or sanding sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until it is golden and looking a bit crispy on the edge.
- Cool 5 minutes, then loosen the edges and bottom with a knife, or a thin spatula. Serve from the pan. It is moist in the middle-a bit marzipan-ish.