Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 pints ice cream (brick-style)
- sponge cakes (1 inch-thick) or layer cake (1 inch-thick)
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- Lay ice cream bricks side by side; measure length and width.
- Trim cake 1 inch larger on all sides than ice cream measurements.
- Place cake on a piece of foil.
- Center ice cream on cake.
- Cover; freeze till firm.
- At serving time, beat together egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add in sugar beating after each tablespoon is added.
- Transfer cake with ice cream to a baking sheet.
- Spread with egg white mixture, sealing to edges of cake and baking sheet all around.
- Swirl to make peaks.
- Place oven rack in lowest position.
- Bake in a 500F degrees oven about 3 minutes or till golden.
- Slice; serve immediately.
This was a real hit, and so easy! Looks and tastes great, just a note for anyone making it, it doesnt mention in the directions when to add the sugar, simply beat it with the egg whites. Delicious!!