Recipe by coffy_bean
I've been working on a good mac and cheese recipe for a while and I'm pretty sure this is the best I've ever made. I use cavatappi pasta, but you can use any shape you have on hand. It's really easy and a great winter super... Enjoy!!
Top Review by lauralie41
Great mac and cheese that is so easy to put together. My DH who isnt a big fan even enjoyed it. Love the cheese combination and I used skim milk, shell pasta, and Panko instead of breadcrumbs. Nice flavor, crunchy topping, and went nicely with our grilled burgers. Made and reviewed for Pick a Chef Spring 2010.
- 1 (16 ounce) box cavatappi pasta, if you use a smaller pasta, use 3/4 of the box
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 cups milk, i recommend measuring it out and letting it warm up on the counter for a few minutes so it doesn't s
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, half a stick, preferably softened but not necessary
- breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- cook pasta according to box directions and preheat oven to 350.
- while pasta is cooking, melt butter in a medium sauté pan. once melted stir in flour and pepper.
- whisk flour until incorporated and bubbling.
- slowly add milk. stir often until milk begins to thicken and bubbles form.
- turn off heat and add 1/4 cup of parmesan and 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese. whisk until combined.
- gently fold in cooked pasta and transfer to a baking dish, i typically use an 8x8 casserole.
- top with reserved parm and cheddar cheeses and dust lightly with bread crumbs.
- bake until lightly toasted on top.