Prep 8 hrs 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A short simmer in some tomato-garlic-pepper seasoning does wonders for the ordinary olive! Serve at room temperature for a unique addition to a relish tray. Prep time includes cooling overnight.
- 3⁄4 cup pitted black olives
- 3⁄4 cup pitted green olives
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded,and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or more if you like!)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- *imported olives are nice, but any will do Bring olives to a boil in a saucepan of water.
- Drain and rinse under cold water; repeat process.
- Drain again, and set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add olives with 1/4 cup water; simmer over low heat until water is absorbed.
- Let cool overnight.
- Serve at room temperature.
The olives turned out beautifully! Looks so pretty with the different olives and the red of the tomato. Olives, garlic (yes, I added extra- about 3 or 4 cloves), tomato, spicy red pepper... delicious flavors all combined. I have to say, we ate a bunch of them and then decided to do a rough chop and mix it in with freshly cooked angel hair pasta, and it made a fantastic pasta dish as well!
I made these for Christmas last year and forgot to review! Very tasty. I'm thinking of making them again this year. I actually prefer them warm.