Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my all-time most requested recipe! You will not believe it until you see it, even kids will gobble this up. I have served this to children and teenagers who say they hate salads, and then watch them eat 3 helpings of this! Try it, it will become your favorite, trust me!
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried until crisp, crumbled
Cottage Cheese Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced onions or 2 tablespoons scallions
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 pint large-curd cottage cheese
- Wash and dry the spinach and lettuce and tear into bite-size pieces, discarding the spinach stems.
- Just before serving, toss the greens with the mushrooms, bacon, and dressing.
- Dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a glass jar.
- Shake to blend.
We try out different salads many times a week and the good point of this recipe is the dressing. It did taste good but it´s drawback is that the cottage cheese leaves a lot of tiny little lumps on the greens which doesnt make food presentation very impression. We didnt have bacon (and we try to avoid eating it). We substituted walnuts instead. It turned out very well. Thanks for sharing. Polar Bear
This is absolutely the best salad I've ever made. You're right, even kids love this salad. I used red onions to give it more color and it tastes better too. I definetly recommend this salad to everyone. Thank you Grace for sharing this recipe. This will be a recipe that will stay in my family for generations to come.
Best salad dressing I've ever eat. Balance of sweet and sour, since I love cottage cheese, it makes even better. Heathly salad indeed.