Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a rich Italian layered Pie of meats, cheeses and eggs. I think I got it from a site about Sicilian food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb Italian turkey sausage link, sliced
- 1 (32 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 lb sliced provolone cheese, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, diced
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (2 count) packagerefrigerated ready-to-use pie crusts
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 10-inch springform pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Heat oil in medium-size nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes. Add sausage slices; sauté until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat.
- Combine ricotta cheese, eggs, provolone, prosciutto, Parmesan, salt and pepper in large bowl. Stir in the sausage mixture.
- Roll out both pie crusts on lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin to two 14-inch rounds. Place one round in bottom of prepared pan. With fingers, lightly press crust into bottom and up sides of pan, without stretching dough.
- Spoon cheese mixture into pastry-lined pan. Place second crust on top of cheese; trim edges of pastry even with rim of pan. Brush pastry with beaten egg yolk.
- Bake on the bottom oven rack in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. (If the top begins to brown too quickly, cover with a sheet of aluminum foil).
- Turn oven off; let the pie continue to cook in the oven for another 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
This was outstanding, and I even messed it up. I purchased a small container of ricotta, and only had two eggs in the house when I made it...so I went with that and added 1/4 lb of goat cheese I had in the refrigerator as well. I served it with warmed spaghetti sauce and it was fabulous!