Recipe by Kozmic Blues
I am a HUGE fan of rosemary, and I think the woodsy taste of rosemary goes perfectly with the cannelini beans an shrimp in this appetizer. The bread for the bruschetta can also be grilled instead of broiling or toasting in the oven.
Top Review by Rita~
This was tasty but hard to eat. The beans just wanted to roll of the bread. I think if you mashed the beans with the oil and garlic, spices and herbs used it as a spread then topped it with the shrimp pressing it in would be much better. Also an extra drizzle of olive oil just before serving would be good. Also I would heat the oil, garlic, rosemary and pepper all at once brush the bread then proceed with the beans and shrimp. I would love to give this 5 stars but because it`s messy eating and dry I`m going for 4 stars.
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled,deveined and cut into 2 to 3 pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, optional
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, cut in narrow ribbons (chiffonade)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced,divided
- salt and pepper
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread, 1 inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2-4 tbsp olive oil over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Add 1 clove of the thinly sliced garlic to the oil, and warm over the low flame until the oil is infused, about 5-7 minutes.
- Brush the slices of crusty bread with the garlic oil, and place under the broiler until they just begin to turn golden and crunchy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Warm the remaining olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, rosemary, and crushed red pepper and cook for a couple minutes, until the smell of rosemary fills the air.
- Next add the beans and balsamic vinegar (if using), stir to coat beans with the warm oil.
- Increase the heat to medium high, and add the shrimp pieces.
- Stir to coat shrimp with olive oil, and cook until they turn pink.
- Top each of the toasted bread slices with equal parts of the bean and shrimp mixture.
- Garnish with shredded fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.