Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Based on a recipe from my Chinese Cooking Class Cookbook. We really enjoy this appetizer recipe served with a lemon wedge.
- 12 large shrimp, shelled and deveined, leaving tails intact
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed and quartered
- 1 slice cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 hard-cooked egg yolk, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green onion, with top, finely chopped
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 hard-cooked egg, one-half for garnish
- 1 green onion, curled for garnish (refer to tip below)
- Butterfly shrimp by cutting a deep slit down each back and pressing gently with your fingers to flatten.
- In large bowl, add egg, cornstarch, salt and pepper and beat until well blended. Add shrimp; toss to coat well.
- Arrange one shrimp, cut-side down, on each bread piece; press shrimp gently into bread.
- Brush egg mixture over arranged shrimp.
- Arrange one piece each of ham and egg yolk and a scant ¼ teaspoon onion on top of each shrimp.
- Using wok or large skillet, heat oil to °375°F Add three or four bread pieces at a time; cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Place cooked bundles on paper towels to drain.
- Garnish with green onion curls and/or hard-cooked egg half if desired. Tip for curling a green onion:.
- 1) Trim the bulb (white part) from onion; reserve for another use. Trim remaining stem to 4-inches.
- 2) Using sharp scissors, cut each section of green stems lengthwise into very thin strips down to beginning of stems, cutting six to eight strips in each stem section.
- 3) Add cold water to half of large bowl. Add green onions and ice cubes. Refrigerate until onion curl, about 1 hour. Drain.