Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make and share this Shrimp, Spinach, and Mushroom Barley Risotto recipe from Food.com.
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) packagebaby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (11 ounce) box quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil over med-high heat.
- Add in shrimp, and cook for about 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm.
- Drain and plunge shrimp into ice water to stop the cooking process; remove from water; set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over med-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender.
- Remove mushroom mixture from skillet; set aside, and keep warm.
- Add barley to pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add wine and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook for about 4 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing liquid to be absorbed after each addition, stirring constantly.
- Stir in cooked shrimp, mushroom mixture, spinach, cheese, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning; serve immediately.