Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can cut the roll into slices before baking for cleaner cuts and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, cooked and chopped (rock shrimp is preferred)
- 4 ounces spinach, chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Combine first eight ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Lay 2 sheets of dough flat on a table, keeping the unused sheets under a damp towel, to avoid drying out.
- Brush phyllo dough with butter, layer two more sheets of dough and repeat the process until all phyllo is used.
- Put half of the filling mixture at one end of the phyllo dough.
- Carefully roll up the mixture inside the dough as you would a cigar.
- Place roll on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased.
- Brush with melted butter and bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 375°F or until golden brown.
- Cool, cut into slices and serve at warm or at room temperature.