Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An effective saute relies on consistent high heat throughout the cooking process, as used in Oriental wok cookery. Have all ingredients prepared as described before beginning.
- 20 large scampi or 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 cups medium mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄3 cup dry vermouth
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion top
- cooked rice (plain or pilaf)
- Heat the clarified butter in a large saute pan until almost smoking. Add the mushroom caps and cook for 1 minute, turning constantly.
- Add the scampi and garlic and saute for 4 minutes until the scampi are beginning to curl and turn opaque.
- Pour the vermouth into the pan and reduce the pan liquids by half.
- Remove scampi and mushrooms to hot platter to avoid overcooking.
- Add the chilled butter 1 T. at a time until the pan juices begin to thicken. Sprinkle in the scallions, saute briefly, pour sauce over scampi.
- Serve the scampi saute on top of a rice pilaf ring, or in individual scallop shells.