Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Shrimp Po’boys recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 8 leaves bibb lettuce or 8 leaves butter lettuce
- 1 beefsteak tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 submarine rolls
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄2 cup spicy grainy mustard
- Preheat an inch of oil in a deep skillet over medium to med-high heat.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and milk together; salt the shrimp; then set them in the milk batter.
- Cover a plate with plastic wrap for easy cleanup; then mix together the flour, cornmeal and seafood seasoning on the plate.
- Using tongs, remove a few shrimp at a time from the batter and coat in the breading.
- Add the breaded shrimp to the hot oil and fry them for 5-6 minutes, or until they are firm and deeply golden all over.
- Repeat until all the shrimp are fried, draining them on paper towels.
- Pile lettuce and tomatoes on the roll bottoms; top with the shrimp, and douse the shrimp with a little lemon juice.
- Mix the relish and mustard together; dot the roll tops with spoonfuls of the sauce before setting them into place.