Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple and light version of a pasta and white sauce.
- 8 ounces large shrimp, cleaned
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
- 4 ounces low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mint, chopped
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Prepare your mis en place (cleaning, grating, julienning, chopping).
- Bring a pot of salted water to a high boil and add the pasta. Return to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or al dente. Remove from the heat, drain and reserve.
- In a skillet, while the pasta is cooking, prepare a blond roux with the flour, butter, and 2 tbs of oil. Add the yogurt and milk after you have cooked out the flour. Thin further to a pour able consistency by adding pasta water a little at a time. Keep it warm over a very low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent a skin from forming.
- In a second skillet, bring the oil to a high heat and sear the peppers and shrimp, turning each shrimp once. This only takes a few seconds. The shrimp should turn pink and curl up. Remove them to a cold plate and reserve.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce, stirring well to assure that pasta is thoroughly coated with the sauce. Add the shrimp and peppers, sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and garnish with the basil and mint.