Recipe by Mommy Diva
This is my spin on my Mom's famous shrimp salad -adapted for my DH's tastes - which means no mayo or mustard. ;) I tend to sprinkle, pour and shake until the consistency and flavor are to my (our)liking, so please bear that in mind as you make this and adjust the flavor to your liking. ;) **My mom makes this using Knott's Honey Dijon dressing in place of the Berenstein's....and it is great - a bit less of the savory seasonings as it is a different flavor, but DH will NOT eat that one - hence my version. His friends ask for this when we have parties or take trips. **Prep time is boiling of pasta and chopping, Cook time is assembling pasta. Chill time not included as it is not required.****Can make this ahead and increase the serving size for large gatherings easily as it is usually a hit anywhere we take it*** ****Can make this ahead and increase the serving size for large gatherings easily as it is usually a hit anywhere we take it***
Top Review by Obag
MD made this for a potluck and bbq. Excellent flavors -- the shrimp was perfect with the freshness of the peppers, olives and celery and the macaroni brought it all together when coated with the dressing. MD introduced me to the bottled dressing which can be used as a quick and easy substitute for a dijon mustard/white wine vinegar dressing. Delicious!
- 1 lb bay shrimp, pre-cooked and shelled
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and cooled (smaller is best)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 -3 medium celery ribs, diced finely
- 1⁄2 medium walla walla onion, diced (any other sweet onion such as Vidalia)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (the Kraft flavored is nice in this)
- 16 ounces Bernsteins light fantastic cheese fantastico salad dressing, to taste
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons Salad Elegance seasoning mix, to taste (I prefer Johnny's Brand)
- black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- grape tomatoes (optional)
- egg, hard boiled and sliced (optional)
- green onion, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil noodles as directed on package (around 9-11 minutes);immediately rinse in cold water to stop further cooing.
- Prep all veggies and rinse shrimp removing any remaining shells etc that were missed while pasta boils then rinse and drain pasta so that you begin with a large bowl of cool pasta.
- Add in the shrimp, veggies, parmesean cheese, and salad dressing.
- Stir thoroghly, and add seasonings to taste.
- If desired,garnish with a sliced hard boiled egg,grape tomatoes and chopped green onions.
- Chill for 30 minutes, minimum,for best flavor before serving.