Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 mins
The Chinese classic shrimp and noodle dish. Prep time includes time to chill the noodles.
- 8 ounces lo mein noodles or 8 ounces chinese noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 green onions, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 1 celery rib, finely sliced
- 1 can bamboo shoot, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 5 slices fresh ginger
- Boil lo mein noodles for 3 minutes then drain and rinse in cold water (they should be al dente); place in a bowl, toss with 2 tbsp of sesame oil and refrigerate until well-chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Peel and devein shrimp, if necessary; mix together 1 tsp rice wine, 1/2 tsp salt, egg white, and cornstarch and pour over shrimp, and marinate 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 cups water, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 3 tbsp rice wine 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tsp sugar, and the 1/2 tsp salt; set aside as your seasoning sauce.
- Heat 1 tbsp peanut oil and 1 tbsp sesame oil in wok and add ginger slices; cook until fragrant, then add shrimp and stir-fry until just pink, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add green onions, bean sprouts, celery, bamboo shoots, and shredded carrot and stir-fry another minute.
- Place chilled noodles into the wok and cook, stirring, until the noodles are hot, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the seasoning sauce and cook until hot and lightly thickened, about half a minute.
- Serve hot.
Good. This was filling and very colorful. However, I found the sauce to be very soupy - I wonder if perhaps the 2 cups water is an error? This just didn't have the right blend of flavors. I could hardly detect the ginger in this. I would mince it next time instead. I'm sorry - I usually love SueL's Asian recipes. This particular version just didn't work as well for me.