Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from, Beer at the Dinner Table, by Herwig Van Hove. Suggested beer to drink with croquettes, Hoegaarden Grand Cru.
- 100 g butter
- 100 g white flour
- 100 ml milk
- 40 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 g shrimp, peeled
- 2 eggs
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Remove from the heat and.
- stir in the flour. Return the pan to the heat and allow the mixture to.
- foam, without browning. Add all the milk in one go and stir vigorously.
- with a large whisk. As soom as the mixture comes to the boil, the sauce.
- will immediately start to thicken and go smooth. Simmer gently for a few.
- minutes to ensure that the flour is completely cooked. Remove from the.
- heat and add the egg yolks, cheese and shrimps. Do not cook the mixture.
- any further as the cheese will form lumps and the shrimp will go rubbery.
- Sprinkle over some freshly milled pepper and nutmeg. Pour the mixture into.
- a floured flat dish in a layer about 3 cm thick and leave it to set in the.
- fridge overnight. The next day cut the mixture into portions (2.5 x 5 cm).
- and roll them consecutively in flour, beaten egg white, and breadcrumbs.
- Deep-fry until golden brown (185°C) and drain them on paper towel.
- Place the croquettes in a hot oven (180°C) for a short while (5 min) to.
- ensure that they are heated right through. Serve with a lemon slice.