Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from a now-defunct San Diego landmark restaurant - Lubachs. It is easily adaptable, sometimes I add onions or make the sauce spicier. The recipe source is an old fundraising cookbook, La Jolla Cooks, from La Jolla Country Day School. Cooking time includes time to simmer sauce - which can overlap while putting together the skewers.
- 24 extra-large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut in 1 inch chunks
- 8 large mushroom caps, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 skewers
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon dry English-style mustard
- 12 ounces catsup
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 drops Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- Prepare barbecue.
- Assemble shrimp/bacon/pepper/mushroom on each skewer.
- Repeat using 3 shrimp per skewer.
- Baste lightly with oil and cook for 5-8 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.
- Remove to warm serving platter and baste with butter to keep moist.
- Spoon Cabrillo Sauce on top and serve.
- Sauce Directions:.
- Melt butter in large skillet but do not brown.
- Add mustard and cook 3-4 minutes over low heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes to combine flavors.
- Refrigerate unused portion for another time.