Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
The best Peel and Eat Shrimp I've ever had! We served 10 plus lbs at our Halloween party this year and they were easy for me to cook while entertaining! They are great hot or cold depending on how you prefer them. The size of the shrimp isn't too important, just that they are still in the shell. It is very important for the flavor. I was lucky to find a store where I live that sells shell on but deveined shrimp! Cooking time depends on the size of the shrimp. I use medium size shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp, shell on
- 1⁄2 gallon water (4ish cups)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 cup celery
- 10 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup white onion
- 1 head garlic
- 2 lemons, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Cut head of garlic in half & chop all veggies.
- Put everything in a large stock pot BUT shrimp.
- If using more than 1 lb of shrimp, double as needed. I've done 5 lbs in one huge pot.
- Boil for 15 to 20 minute.
- The stock will be too salty and to spicy.
- Add shrimp and depending on size cook on high 5 to 10 minute.
- Put a strainer into the sink.
- Remove pan from heat and dump into strainer, pick out shrimp and eat hot or cold.
- If you want to eat them cold then don't dump all the liquid. save about half and place shrimp, veggies and stock in a bowl and put in fridge till desired temperature.
- We prefer to eat warm.
These shrimp were wonderful! We stopped at the local fish market and got fresh from the boat shrimp. I was low on veggies but full in the spice cabinet so I cut the salt in half, added a couple of veggie boullion cubes and some celery salt, onion and garlic powder and boiled for only 5 min to dissolve the boullion. Then added my one pound of shrimp and boiled for 5 more min. We ate them warm with butter and cocktail sauce. Thanks for sharing!