Recipe by Brooklyn's Culinary Diva
I was doing a project on cajun and creole food, so I invested in some help from Susan Merrick who owns and operates cajun-country-foods.com. She helped me out with these recipes!! So I want to thank her!
- 4 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 lbs okra, sliced crosswise
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 gallon hot water
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup of brown roux
- 2 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan.
- Add sliced onions and okra, fry until brown around the edges. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until okra does not stick to pan (about 1 hour).
- Add garlic, celery, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and brown roux. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add 1 gallon of hot water and shrimp. Add salt to taste.
- Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve over cooked rice.