Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This recipe makes two loaves of bread. It is an excellent bread that uses shredded wheat cereal. It is very tasty and I always have shredded wheat on hand as we love it.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 shredded wheat biscuits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 5 cups flour (approxmately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure the boiling water, butter, salt, and molasses into a mixing bowl, and crumble the shredded wheat into this; cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water and let proof for a few minutes.
- Add this to the above lukewarm mixture.
- Add the flour by cupfuls, using as much as you need to have a fairly stiff dough.
- Knead 100 times.
- Grease a bowl and place dough into it.
- Let rise for 2 hours, covered.
- Punch down and rise another hour.
- Turn out on lightly floured board, punch down, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Make into two loaves, place in greased pans, let rise till double.
- Bake 400 degrees for 50 minutes, covering with foil if it gets too brown.