1/1 Photo of Shortcut Spanakopita
I love this quick version of spanakopita.It is made into rolls for easy preparation. They are larger than the traditional triangles, so you probably only need 1 per person for an appetizer or 2 per person if you are serving it as a main course. Recipe by Rachael Ray, slightly adapted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground or freshly grated)
- 4 -6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (13 x 17 inches each)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Make sure you rack is in the center position.
- 2Preheat a small pan to med-high heat and then add you oil and onion - saute for about 5 minutes. Transfer the onion to a bowl. Add spinach to the onion and season it with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the feta and combine it well with the spinach mixture. Next add the beaten egg and sour cream and combine it well with the cheese, spinach and onion mixture.
- 3Lay out one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean surface and paint half of it with some of the melted butter. Fold the sheet in half to make almost a square. Put up to 1/4 of the spinach mixture onto the phyllo into a log shape, working 2 inches from the bottom and each side of the pastry. Tuck the bottom edge up and fold both sides in, then roll and wrap upwards until you reach the edge of the dough sheet. Each filled pastry will look a bit like an egg roll. Paint the seam and the ends of the roll with butter and set it seam side down on a cookie sheet. Repeat these steps to make 4 rolls.
- 4Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shortcut Spanakopita
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.1
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 100.8 mg
- Sodium 582.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 10.2 g