Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
This is in response to a request for homemade pastry. I am the world's worst baker, but my pastry came out right on my first attempt! (Prep time includes refrigeration time)
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
- Add the butter and cut into flour until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- (Using a food processor fitted with the dough blade makes the"cutting" process a little easier and faster).
- Mix in enough cold water to hold mixture together.
- Form into a ball.
- Wrap in wax paper (preferred) or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.
- Assembly: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet, muffin tray, etc.
- with nonstick cooking spray or grease with shortening.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator.
- Lightly sprinkle work surface with flour.
- Roll out pastry to about 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut into circles, squares, or any shape and size that you like.
- Use any filling that you want.
- To"join" separate pastry pieces together, moisten the edges with beaten egg and gently crimp the edges together.
- If your dish is to have pastry on the top, brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, muffin tray, etc.
- and bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Pastry freezes extremely well.
Wonderful! This is so easy in the food processor and perfect for a pie. I did not find this dry at all - I made the full recipe and only needed about 2-3 tablespoons of water to get the dough right. Thanks for posting, this will be made many times in the future.
I love this one! It's quick and easy. A suggestion? Why not try putting ingredients in a large reclosable plastic bag, massage to mix and shape before refrigerating? Would this work-anybody?