1/1 Photo of Shorba Baidha - Algerian Chicken Soup.
2 hrs 5 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Shorba Baidha, literally means white soup. It is a classic soup in Algeria & is extremely simple to make. The subtle flavours work well together to make a delcious, light soup. I have to say this is one of my all time favourite soups. It's great all year round but especially loved during Ramadan or to eat when you are feeling ill. It is the egg yolk that makes this soup white so don't leave it out! The chicken in Algeria is free range & has a rich taste, if you use non-free range chicken, you might need to throw in a stock cube...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skinless (or other bone-in cuts)
- 1 medium brown onion, finely diced
- 200 g canned chick-peas, rinsed & drained
- 2 1/2 liters water
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basmati rice
- salt & pepper
- 1In a large pot gently fry the onion in the olive oil. Add the chicken & the cinnamon stick & fry for 8 minutes, turning the chicken around to seal.
- 2Add the water & some salt & pepper to taste. Cover & simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes on a medium heat.
- 3Remove the chicken from the bones & place the chicken back in the pot.
- 4Add the chickpeas to the pot & simmer for further 10 minutes covered.
- 5Check the seasoning & adjust if required. Add the rice & cover & cook for 15 minutes.
- 6Add more water & adjust seasoning or simmer uncovered if the soup is too concentrated or too watery.
- 7Finally, mix the egg yolk with the lemon juice. Add a few tsp of the soup to the mix & whisk then add the egg mixture to the pot in a thin steam, stirring continuously. Cook for 1 minute then add the parsley & take off the heat.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shorba Baidha - Algerian Chicken Soup.
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.5
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 70.1 mg
- Sodium 156.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 12.0 g