Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
One of those necessary meals I thought up when you must feed your family well when the paychecks almost due. You usually have all these ingredients on hand! My husband and kids thought the world of it and now my grandchildren do too!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 lb ground beef, with enough fat for flavor
- 4 -5 slices real American cheese (not cheese food)
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into cubes for boiling
- 2 tablespoons real butter
- milk (enough to cream potatoes)
- Chop all veggies, keeping garlic and parsley apart from other veggies.
- Brown ground beef and break apart into small pieces.
- After it's browned, I have a secret of mashing it with my square-holed potato masher.
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper.
- Simmer, covered until veggies are limp.
- Add garlic and parsley and simmer until garlic is soft.
- Put pan to one side.
- Meanwhile, peel and cube potatoes, washing well.
- Cook until tender 15 to 18 mintes.
- Drain, return to pot and add butter.
- Start mixer on low and then to medium, getting all lumps out of potatoes.
- When all lumps are gone, add milk and continue until right consistency.
- Heat ground beef only to warm.
- Add to casserole dish about 3 inches high.
- Place cheese on top of warmed meat mixture, covering all of the surface.
- Add creamed potatoes, covering entire top.
- Place in preheated 350 degree oven until entire dish is warmed through.
- Your whole family will love this.
- When my children grew older, I always had to make 2 pansful.
- I hope you enjoy it!
- Add green salad and you're got the perfect dinner!
My son had shephards pie at a friends house and really liked it. They moved shortley after and I have never found one he liked until now. He practically ate the whole thing. I cooked the beef in a cast iron skillet and then just put the potatoes on top and put it all in the oven. It was wonderful.
Maybe i did something wrong, but I found it kind of dry, Next time I'll put in broth. The leftovers were really good though, I cooked them with cheese and eggs to make sort of a hash.