Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a spicy sweet and sour chicken dish. The spicy being the addition of Creole seasoning. I love the extra spice....if you get it right, it will sneak up on you in a good way. It's an entree I had at this now closed restaurant in Northern Virginia. It was served on a cast iron skillet with Jasmine rice. My mom and I set out to recreate it and are pleased with the results. I am still searching for the best sweet and sour sauce recipe to make it perfect.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (or Cajun, more or less, see note below)
- 3⁄4-1 cup sweet and sour sauce (bottled or homemade)
- rice, for serving over
- Heat a large skillet to medium high and add half of oil.
- Saute peppers and onions until tender crisp. I like mine to slightly caramelize on the edges. Remove and set aside.
- Add rest of oil to skillet and add chicken, sprinkle with Creole seasoning.
- Note: The amount of seasoning you use is going to depend on the heat level of the spice blend you have and how hot you like it. I season the chicken until it is slightly more spicy than I like it because the sweet and sour sauce along with the pepper/onion mixture greatly cuts the spice. But by all means, go conservative, you can always add more later.
- Brown the chicken until cook and no longer pink.
- Add the peppers and onions back in and then the sauce.
- Cook until sauce is heated through.
- Taste and add more Creole seasoning if necessary.
Excellent chicken dish! It's amazing how the Creole seasoning and the sweet and sour sauce combine for a flavorful sauce that works so well with the chicken, vegetables and rice.
This was awesome!! I would give this more stars if I could! I added some broccoli in with the peppers and chicken and used cajun seasoning. The sweet and sour sauce added just the perfect taste! I will be making this again!
This is AMAZING! It is basically a stir-fry recipe, which I didn't realize. But now it's our FAVORITE stir-fry recipe!! With a good bottled sweet and sour sauce, you can't go wrong!