Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
Method of "shaving" found in Sunset Magazine, December 2006. Recipe loosley based on the one in the magazine. It tastes awesome!
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces pancetta, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch wide strips
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 -4 tablespoons toasted & chopped cashews
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup freshly shaved asiago cheese
- Using a sharp knife or mandoline, thinly slice brussels sprouts crosswise, discarding root ends. (The "shaved" sprouts should resemble confetti.).
- Pour vegetable oil into a large pot over high heat; add pancetta and stir until slightly crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-high, add brussels sprouts, and cook, stirring often, until sprouts are bright green and tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, & cashews and toss to warm.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano or Asiago cheese.
- Serve hot.
- *Use a fork stuck in the core end of the sprout to keep your fingers away from the blade.
- **To toast cashews put them on a baking sheet spread out, in a 350ºF oven for 10 minutes, & they will toast nicely.
I love brussels sprouts and this is terrific! I used bacon instead of the pancetta. I really enjoyed the addition of the crushed red pepper flakes. Great recipe - thanks for sharing it!
This is delicious.I could not get Pancetta and had to settle for center cut bacon and I used asiago cheese.I added 1 tblsp. rice vinegar to the bacon as it was cooking. It was outstanding in flavor and it served everyone's taste buds! My husband had a little after I removed the bacon. I will make time and time again! Thank you for posting!