Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These were a big hit at the last family get together. The recipe comes from my cousin and is based on her mother’s little smokies in apricot recipe.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finley chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 lb ground beef (you can use 1/2 pound of each ground pork and ground beef)
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Crumble raw meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1" balls.
- In a skillet working in batches brown meatballs in medium heat skillet. Drain and transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Combine preserves and barbecue sauce; pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Serve from a warm from oven or keep warm in small warming pot. Best enjoyed warm.
Very good, but I did make some changes. I was afraid the meatballs would be dry without added liquid, so I added a splash of milk also a tbsp. of parsley just for color. Instead of frying in a pan I baked them at 325 for 25 mn. Then put them in the small crock pot. Meanwhile,I heated the preserves and BBQ sauce in a saucepan, poured it over the meatballs, but found it needed more sauce, so doubled that. Thanks for posting this yummy appetizer!