Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Haven't tried these yet but I love all shortbread cookies.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops anise oil (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 .
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, and baking powder together.
- Work in the shortening as you would when making pie dough, to the consistency of coarse meal.
- Beat into the dough the eggs, milk, vanilla, and anise oil. The dough should be moist but not sticky. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll out to a 1/2 inch diameter cylinder.
- Spread some sesame seeds on a large piece of waxed paper and roll the dough in the seeds until the cylinder is completely covered.
- Cut the dough into 1 1/2 pieces on a diagonal.
- Place the cookies on a lightly greased sheet pan and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool the cookies on a rack and store in an airtight container.