Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
I got this recipe From an ad for McCormick spices in a Martha Stewart Living magazine. The colors and the flavors are wonderful!
- 3 lbs boneless beef short ribs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 onions, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle root beer
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- Coat short ribs with flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in 5 quart Dutch oven and brown beef pieces over medium-high heat.
- Remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in Dutch oven on medium heat. Add garlic, celery, onions, and parsnips and stir 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add root beer, water, bouillon cubes, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves, 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds, sea salt, and black pepper and bring to boil.
- Return beef to pot and stir and cover.
- Braise in 300F oven for 2 hours.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook for and additional hour.
- Top with remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds and serve.