Recipe by Red Jenny
Given to me by my neighbour. These buttery crumbly crackers are very tasty! You can freeze them to keep fresh. Simple to make with detailed instructions. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter (room temperature but firm)
- 1⁄2 cup milk (plus 1-2 T more if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Mix in sugar and oatmeal.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender to the size of small peas. Add vanilla to milk. Add milk mixture gradually to flour, stirring with a fork.
- If mixture appears very dry, add 1-2 extra tablespoons of milk until mixture begins to clump together to form 3 balls. Chill until firm (about an hour).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Roll into a rectangle and smooth in cracked edges. Roll to cracker thickness (we like to do half the batch first and while it is baking, roll out the second half).
- Place a hand on edge and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover entire surface with plastic wrap and pat down to adhere sesame seeds. Cut into squares (1-2 inches big).
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake near centre of oven for about 8 minutes but keep an eye on them so they don't overcook. Remove when slightly golden. Cool on rack.