Recipe by Pot Scrubber
This is a terrific and simple fish dish. I've made it for many years. This is best with a flaky fish such as cod or snapper but tilapia will work, too. A Jeff Smith/Frugal Gourmet recipe.
Top Review by LUv 2 BaKE
With the white and black sesame seeds...what a very pretty way to serve fish. The soy sauce gave an interesting flavour here. I found it almost made the fish have a slightly sweeter taste. I will admit I did bake these instead of frying, which still worked out excellent. Reviewed for RSC #4.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white fish fillets, cut into nuggets
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4 tablespoons white sesame seeds (not toasted... raw)
- 4 tablespoons black sesame seeds (not toasted... raw)
- oil, for deep frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate fish in the soy and sesame oil for 15 minutes.
- Drain and dust the fish in flour.
- Dip into the egg and then roll in the sesame seeds.
- Deep fry the pieces in 360 degree oil for 4 or 5 minutes. No longer -- the sesame seeds scorch easily and will be bitter.
- Make a simple dipping sauce with some soy sauce diluted with about a 50/50 ratio of water and some fresh grated ginger. Delicious!
- You may need to cook this in two batches so that the temperature of the oil doesn't plummet. The oil needs to maintain a constant 360 temperature if possible.