Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
If your looking for an extra special chicken dish, then here it is... this is absolutey wonderful! Don't let the ingredients list fool you, it is simple to make. Plan ahead, this needs to sit in then fridge for 8 hours or overnight. (prep time includes marinating time)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves, about 1 tablespoon (or to taste)
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening, melted
MUSTARD PLUM SAUCE
- 1 1⁄2 cups prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups plum jam
- 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a ziploc plastic bag, combine buttermilk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, paprika, soy sauce, oregano and garlic; mix well.
- Add in chicken breasts and turn to coat.
- Seal or cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- After 8 hours, drain and discard the marinade.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a shallow 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a shallow dish, combine the dry bread crumbs and sesame seeds.
- Dredge the chicken in the crumb mixture.
- Place in prepared baking dish (sprinkle with more salt and pepper if desired, I use seasoning salt for this).
- Combine the melted butter and Crisco; drizzle over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan; heat through.
- Serve with/on the chicken.
Made this with 4 large chicken breasts but kept to the other ingredient amounts! We really enjoyed the plum sauce, as it made this dish very special! Thanks for a great recipe keeper! [Made & reviewed as part of the Cookathon for Kittencal]