Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sesame flavoured appetiser, from a Canadian Cookbook
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- 3 lbs chicken drummettes
- Beat eggs with whisk in a small bowl, add the next 4 ingredients and mix well.
- Mix bread crumbs and sesame seeds in a separate small bowl.
- Dip the chicken drumettes into egg mixture then into breadcrumb mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer on a greased baking sheet with sides.
- Bake at 425F for approx 30 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
A mighty fine recipe! I made chicken 'nuggets' rather than drumettes because I had boneless chicken thighs on hand and made a honey-mustard dip to go along with it. It's a mild flavor, but very good, and a snap to make. I double breaded a few pieces just to see how they would turn out. I liked the single coating better. This is one recipe no household with kids should be without~~~forget McYuk's! :)
These tasted good, but didn't really wow me. I love all of the ingredients and the combination souded like it would be very flavorful. Unfortunately, I found these to be a little on the bland side and felt that they needed more seasonings - perhaps some garlic and seasoned bread crumbs would help boost the flavor a bit more. I do like that these bake in the oven rather than frying, although even with a well oiled pan, some of the breading stuck to the pan and made it dificult when trying to flip them over midway through cooking.
I loved the fact that it didn't need any soy based products. However, it was fairly bland, something remedied quickly with a sweet and sour sauce. I have found by adding some onion powder, cayenne and paprika to the breading and 1 or two drops of sesame oil to the wet mix increased the flavor profile. I also liberally sprayed the pan and the chicken preventing any sticking and leaving a nice toasted color when done.