Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is very popular at my DH's work pot lucks. Is really good when the romaine is fresh. Nice for summertime barbecues.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ramen noodles, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 bunches romaine lettuce, torn
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a large skillet, melt butter and 1 tblspn sugar over medium heat. Add the noodles, sesame seeds and almonds. (Discard seasoning pack from noodles or save for some other use.) Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until browned; set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the romaine and onions.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Just before serving, drizzle over romaine mixture; top with noodle mixture.Toss to coat.
This is a great salad for any occasion. I do add cut up strawberries. It gives it a great flavor plus adds color to the salad. I use the sugar when making the salad for company but when it's for the family, I use the natural sugar replacement Stevia. It tastes just as wonderful without all the calories.