Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
While Finns would typically use fresh lingonberries for this hearty porridge, cranberries are equally delicious. Serving size is estimated. Posted for ZWT 6 - Scandanavia. Recipe was found on about.com and provided by Kari Diehl, Guide to Scandinavian Food, About.com.
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups fresh cranberries (or lingonberries, if you can get them)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 medium apples, peeled and coarsely diced
- 2 cups rolled oats (can use gluten-free)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Stir together water, cranberries, sugar, and apples in medium sauce pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-high and simmer until the cranberries begin to pop (about 15 minutes).
- Add rolled oats and salt; cook at a low boil for 5 additional minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon and vanilla (if desired) and serve immediately.
- NOTE: I might mix water and juice (unsweetened apple juice) to heighten the flavor of the porridge and cut the sugar by half if using sweet apples.