Recipe by s'kat
A wonderful little appetizer... serve with ciabatta or the like. from Jacques Pepin.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, but lengthwise into halves (12 pieces)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons drained and rinsed capers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 cup loose basil leaves, about
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange the tomato halves cut side up on the sheet, and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt on top.
- Bake for 4 hours.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven (they will still be soft), and put them in a serving bowl.
- Let them cool, then add the mozzarella, capers, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and lemon rind, and mix to combine.
- Drop the basil leaves into 2 cups of boiling water, and cook for about 10 seconds.
- Drain, and cool under cold running water.
- Press the basil between the palms to extrude most of the water, then chop finely.
- Add to the salad, toss well, and serve.