Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Scallops seared perfectly with smooth, herbed pan sauce.
- 1 lb dry large scallop (rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towels)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallots (1 medium shallot)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat until quite hot.
- Pat scallops dry one more time and put them in the pan in a single, uncrowded layer.
- Season with salt and pepper and let sear undisturbed until one side is browned and crisp, 2-4 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn the scallops and sear until the second side is well browned and the scallops are almost firm to the touch, 2-4 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat, transfer the scallops to a plate, and set them in a warm spot.
- Let the pan cool for a minutes before you make the sauce.
- When pan has cooled somewhat, return it to medium heat.
- Add a piece of the butter and the shallots and saute until shallots begin to soften, about 1 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until reduced by half, another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the herbs and lemon zest.
- Reduce heat to low, add the remaining butter, and whisk constantly until the butter melts into the sauce.
- Return the scallops and any accumulated juices to the pan.
- Gently roll the scallops in the sauce to warm them through.
- Taste for salt and pepper and serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side to squeeze over the scallops.
Excellent. Next time I will double the sauce. I served it with rice and it was delicious. Next time I will try others suggestions to add garlic or chili pepper.
Also, I think the sauce would be delicious with other fish.
Hello from Portugal!!! This is one fantastic receipe you have here Kathy, I did how ever leave out the black pepper, and added in some of my homemade Piri.pir(its made of red hot chilli peppers) added in 3 garlic clove(we're garilic lovers here) It turned out superb!!! Just make sure you have a nice bottle of white wine to dish it down with and some Italian bread or French. WONDERFULLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This recipe is excellent. I left out the salt and added a chopped seeded red chilli and 1 crushed garlic clove to the sauce to our preference and the result was fantastic. Make this if you have fresh/frozen scallops, you won't be disappointed! We served over rice with broccoli on the side with a salad.