Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Donna Hay's "Flavours". Simple and delicious- this is a great meal for spring and summertime.
Make and share this Seared Beef and Red Onion Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks
- oil, for brushing
- cracked black pepper
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- Mix together the two kinds of onions, vinegar, and sugar and let stand 10 minutes.
- Brush steak with the oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Cook the steak either in a grill pan, a frying pan, or on the bbq on a high fire until well seared and cooked to your liking (or for two minutes per side).
- Slice the steak into thick pieces.
- Toss the onion mixture with the mint, parsley, and spinach.
- Serve the seared steak pieces over a mound of the salad.
We loved this. I only used 1 medium-large red onion and left out the mint because I forgot to pick some up (and thought Mike's suggestion of a breath mint wouldn't do) We grilled the steak until rare and I served the salad along side the steak rather than over. We loved the taste combination and sopped up the leftover juices from both salad and steak with some Italian bread. We will have this often I am sure. It reminded Mike of a dressing his mom made, which is always nice. Thank you!