Recipe by Captain_67
Do you LOVE crab cakes but HATE the price ?? At around $10 for frozen seafood plus a few bits & pieces, you can serve up 6 fat cakes that are better than a lot of cakes that I have paid big bucks for in restaurants. A healthy one & a half pound combination of fish, shrimp & crab that you will taste all the way through these gems.
- 1 lb chunky white fish (not flaky)
- 4 ounces peeled raw shrimp
- 4 ounces crabmeat (1 Dungeness crab cluster well picked)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 24 Ritz crackers or 24 jatz crackers, crushed into chunks
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the crab cakes in advance so they have time to firm up in the refrigerator before you cook them.
- Saute onion & garlic then remove to cool.
- If fish was frozen, squeeze “gently” to remove excess water.
- If crab is cooked, rinse gently under cold water to remove excess salt then drain & dry.
- Dice fish & shrimp into peanut size chunks.
- Combine all ingredients & mix gently just until well blended.
- Shape the mixture into 6 fat crab cakes & shape into discs.
- Put them on a plate and stick them in the refrigerator, uncovered to chill & dry for 30 to 60 minutes.
- To serve, heat 3 tablespoons each of butter & olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Put the crab cakes with the top (dry) side down and cook for about 15 minutes, gently flip over & cook for another 15 minutes so each side is nice and crisp. Internal temp should hit 145F (62C).