Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
These take a little time and may have a price tag on them but they are a crowd pleaser and quite impressive.
- 2 lbs sea scallops
- 1⁄2 lb prosciutto, sliced thin
- rosemary sprig
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- Fully thaw out your scallops and remove the "muscle' from each one . You cant miss them , its a little piece thats always on them . Feel around it and you will get it .
- Pat dry each scallop before you begin to wrap them . Once dry , take a slice of the prosiutto and wrap the sides (not the top and bottom) of the scallop and use the rosemary sprig to skewer them together . Remove as many leaves off the sprig as needed to get it thru the scallop .
- Once they are all sprigged , place them in a tin and baste each one with olive oil and season each one with the garlic salt and black pepper .
- When grilling these , make sure you use a special grid so they dont fall thru the grates or stick to them either.
- The key thing to remember with this recipe is NOT to keep turning or opening the lid . Remember what I always say when BBQn' . If you are lookin , you arent cookin' . Keep them over medium heat and only turn them twice .
- The easiest way to determine if they are ready to be turned is if they feel like they dont want to come off , they arent ready to . When they are ready to be turned over , they will not stick to the grille .
- Be sure to baste them with some melted butter one you turn them over . Let the grille do the work and dont over cook them b/c they will be like rubber. You want them to be tender and juicy so dont be alarmed if you see a milkey residue on the grate .
- In total a 2lb bag should yeild about 20-25 scallops so they should take about 15 - 20 minutes on the grille .