Recipe by lolablitz
I made this tonight and my extremely picky 3 year old ate three helpings, so I'm posting it because it is solid gold! Use one slice of bread in a food processor to make about 3/4 cup of soft breadcrumbs.
Top Review by OwlLily
I loved this recipe. It was easy to make and loved that there wasn't tons of sodium. I added peas and fresh parsley into the cream mixture. It turned out wonderfully. I will be making this again.
- 1 cup macaroni noodles
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted plus
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 10 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pasta according to directions. Rinse and set aside.
- In the meantime, mix breadcrumbs and 1Tbs butter. Set aside.
- Melt remaining 3Tbs butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add onion and carrots. Saute 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add flour and stir while it bubbles. Cook one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add milk, water, mustard, salt and pepper, stirring while it thickens. Cook, stirring until it thickens to the correct consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir-in tuna.
- Mix in noodles and pour everything into a 1.5-2.2 quart glass pan. Crumble breadcrumbs on top.
- Cook, uncovered in oven for 20 minutes.