Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From Deborah Madison's "This Can't Be Tofu!"
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
If it means it will fool somebody into thinking these are real scrambled eggs, then It Really Can't Be Tofu. My BF thought these were real, and loved them, though he likes tofu anyway. I used less oil and butter, turmeric (I think cumin is also used to turn the tofu yellow), fresh basil and scallions. I added feta cheese because I had some leftover. I usually prefer cheddar with my tofu eggs. Why eat regular eggs any more?
- 340.19 g soft tofu (1 carton)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml butter
- 1.23 ml turmeric or 1.23 ml curry powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh tarragon or 29.58 ml fresh basil or 29.58 ml fresh marjoram, chopped
- 29.58 ml fresh chives, snipped or 29.58 ml scallions, finely sliced
- 118.29 ml cheddar cheese or 118.29 ml muenster cheese or 118.29 ml goat cheese or 118.29 ml feta cheese, grated
- black pepper, to taste
- paprika, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the tofu, wrap it in a towel, and press while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and butter.
- When oil and butter are hot, crumble the tofu into the pan in pieces about the size of scrambled egg curds.
- Sprinkle with the turmeric, season with salt, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until dry and firm (but not hard), for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the herbs and cheese, taste and season with pepper.
- Serve with a dash of paprika over the top.