Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
OK, I am not Scottish, but this recipe is. It makes a whole heap to last through the week.
- 750 g beef, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 10 cups water
- 180 g tomato paste
- 1 cup peas
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced (not crushed)
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 250 g lentils or 125 g barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, large
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 bunch spinach
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped beef and onions and cook until browned.
- Lower hear and add flour (sprinkled) over beef and stir through.
- Add water, stir.
- Add tomato paste and peas.
- Add garlic, vegetables, herbs, lentils or barley, oats and salt. Stir well.
- All should be covered with water, add more if not.
- Simmer covered over low heat 2 - 3 hours. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed.
- TO SERVE.
- Slice or chop raw spinach, place a generous serve in bottom of each individual bowl,
- Ladle hot stew over. Stew will lightly cook the spinach.