Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is an easy no-fail apple pie to make, and the crushed gingersnap cookies, marmalade and raisins set this pie apart from the commen everyady version... the middle will thicken up nicely when baked Please use only Granny Smith apples for this....A recipe from Evelyn Herring, Laguna Woods, CA. Prep time does not include preparing the pie pastry.
- 2 (9 inch) prepared pie pastry (homemade or store-bought, I use my No-Fail Butter Pie Crust Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup gingersnap crumbs (use only crispy cookies for this not soft)
- 1⁄3 cup marmalade (store-bought)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees, and set oven rack to bottom position).
- Roll out the bottom pastry, then line the 9-inch pie dish with bottom pastry, then place in refrigerator while mixing the apple mixture.
- In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar, cookie crumbs, marmalade, raisins and orange zest.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry crust.
- Roll out the top pastry, and then place on top pressing the crust edges together to seal.
- Crimp edge decorativly (you can also flute the edges if desired).
- Cut a 1-inch hole in center of the top crust.
- In a small cup whisk together the whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar, then brush over top crust.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until crust is golden and fruit is bubbles thickly (you might want to place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any spills).
- Serve warm.