Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My German mom used to make 2 kinds of "German" potato salad - one with bacon, vinegar and sugar, served warm and another that had a vinegar base, no sugar and served room temperature. I have her first recipe, but not her other. I've been searching for it for years. I found this on a German website and it's close to what I'm looking for!!
- Cook potatoes until a fork can easily pierce. Cool slightly, peel while still hot. (Ouch!) Slice thinly into a bowl.
- Dice onion and add to potatoes along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the hot bullion over potatoes and carefully mix so that the stock can soak into the potatoes for a few minutes.
- Blend vinegar, oil and mustard and stir into potatoes.
- Taste if additional salt and pepper is needed.
- Serve room temperature. Goes well with hot sausages.
- Note: original recipe is served on a bed of cucumber salad or endive salad.