Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this in an old fund raising cookbook. Sounds interesting.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Stir togethre in a mixing bowl flours, sugar, seeds, baking powder and salt until thoroughly blended.
- Cut in shortening until coarse crumbs form.
- Add water all at one time. Stir until mixture can be gathered in a ball.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead 8-10 strokes.
- Divide dough into six portions and shape into balls.
- Roll each ball of dough on a floured surface to an 8 inch round.
- Cut a 1 inch hole in center of each round.
- Prick each entire circle of dough with fork.
- Place rounds on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Turn bread over and bake for 7-8 minutes more until crisp.
- Cool on rack.
- To serve, break cracker bread, butter and serve with thin sliced cheese.