Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a simple yet wonderful recipe. It's from House & Garden Magazine 1964. I make it often in the winter. Looking at the ingredients you'd never guess how delicious it is. Everyone I serve this to loves it! By the way, I'm vegetarian so I use canned vegetable broth instead.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large head white cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 quarts hot beef bouillon or 1 1⁄2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- Melt butter in a heavy kettle. Stir in sugar and cook until browned. Do not scorch.
- Add cabbage and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer covered 1 hour.
A bit sweet, a bit peppery, altogether delicious. I was surprised at how long it took to cook the sugar in the butter, until brown. But I cooked it on v-e-r-y low. Worth every minute it took at make. Undoubtedly, I shall make this soup again.