Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Sara Moulton recipe that sounds delightful!! She says it will work well with scallops, and they cook in about the same time. Can't wait to wrap my lips around this one!!
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄3 cup pimento stuffed olive, drained and sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 225ºF.
- Split the loaf of bread lengthwise, leaving one long side attached.
- Scoop out some of the bread to make a hollow in the bottom half.
- Close the loaf and place it in the oven to warm until ready to fill.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until all the liquid the mushrooms release has evaporated, about 5-7 minute.
- Add the shrimp and saute just until they turn pink and are cooked through, about 3 minute.
- Stir in the olives (if using), lemon juice, salt and hot sauce to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf of bread and cut into 4 pieces.
- Serve while warm.
These are delicious! I kept the bread warm in the warming drawer in my oven which worked well - I used Italian whole wheat bread and only about 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce. Thanks for sharing this keeper!