Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Mark Bitman's The Best Recipes in the World.
- 8 large sea scallops or 1 lb bay scallop
- 2 tablespoons flour (for dredging, most will be left on the plate)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt or pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon finely minced fresh garlic
- Dry scallops gently with paper towel.
- Heat oil in medium pan.
- Add butter.
- While butter melts, dredge each scallop in flour on both sides.
- When butter is starting to foam, add scallops to pan.
- Cook until scallops are barely browned on both sides and starting to feel firm, about 1-2 minutes per side for the initial browning. (This will depend on the thickness of your scallops.
- When both sides are browned slightly, add garlic.
- Lower heat a little.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired, and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Stir or shake the pan so the garlic is all around the scallops.
This were very good. I followed the instructions to a "t". This was my first time fixing scallops at home, but won't be my last, thanks to Riff. A lovely dinner!!