Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
For all the oyster-lovers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 pint shucked oyster, liquid reserved (about ½ cup)
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 dash ground mace or 1 dash nutmeg
- maytag blue cheese (or Roquefort)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine crumbs, salt, pepper and melted butter; mix well.
- Layer about 1/3 of crumbs in a buttered 1-quart baking dish.
- Cover with half the oysters and oyster liquor.
- Add half the cream.
- Add half the remaining crumbs and follow with a layer of the remaining oysters, liquid and cream.
- Top with remaining crumbs and sprinkle with mace or nutmeg.
- Dot generously with blue cheese.
- Bake in hot oven until oysters are cooked through and top is crisp and browned, about 30 minutes.
Whoever thought of putting nutmeg and blue cheese with oysters?? This was just excellent!! I highly recommend it. The only changes I'll make next time will be to add a bit more cream and add the blue cheese after it is cooked. I think the cheese will be even sharper tasting if not melted into the dish. I really did like this dish. Thank you Silky.
This is a great oyster recipe! The blue cheese really makes it special. I doubled the amount of oysters and didn't add any extra salt (1 tsp would have been way too salty for me). I used the nutmeg. Thanx for sharing this; I'll make it again.